Lobster, or Homarus americanus, as well as other shellfish species like crab (often taken with lobster as a by-catch), has been harvested off the coast of Maine for centuries. When the shells and bodies are dehydrated and ground into a meal for use as a fertilizer, it provides an all-natural source of organic nitrogen and calcium for plants, especially during their vegetative growth phase.
How to Use
For great results, apply in the spring after the weather warms and water-in after each application. One pound equals 3 cups.
- New garden beds – Spread 5 pounds per 100 square feet. Mix into the top 2-3” of soil.
- Established beds – Side dress 10 pounds per 100 square feet twice during the growing season.
- Rows of vegetable plants – Use 5 pounds per 50 foot row twice during the growing season.
- Planting holes – For 1 gallon pot size or less, add 1 teaspoon per planting hole. For holes sized larger than 1 gallon, add 1 tablespoon per planting hole. Mix into the soil and water-in after planting.
- Lawns – Use 10 pounds per 1000 square feet in the spring.
- Trees and shrubs – Use 1 pound per inch of trunk diameter around the drip line of the tree once yearly. Rake into the soil.
- Houseplants – Top-dress 2 tablespoons per gallon of soil twice during the growing season.
- Compost bio-activator – Apply 10 pounds per cubic yard (3’x3’x3’) of compost.
This product is OMRI Listed for Organic Use. Our Organic Plant Food supplements, including Lobster Meal, are all single source fertilizers that comply with the USDA National Organic Program (NOP) rules and are included in the NOP listing of all-natural, non-synthetic substances permitted in organic production. Caution: This product is non-toxic, but do not take internally, keep sealed, out of reach of children and pets and in a cool, dry place. Wash hands and exposed skin with soap and water after handling. This product meets the guidelines for metals adopted by the Association of American Plant Food Control Officials. Information regarding the contents and levels of metals in this product is available at http://www.regulatory-info-cm.com/